Thursday, October 28, 2010

WR 6.2. The rite of writing right: Fear of flying?


WR 6.2.  The rite of writing right: Fear of flying?                              4-5 levels    35-40min

GOAL. To be aware of the uses of the metaphors of flying in a learner’s report (Have a nice flight!).

WARM UP.
TASK 1. You need to imagine a way to give shape at your piece of writing. Do questions below.
Q1. Which metaphor would you use for a report on your learning at the EOI?
Ø  A return-ticket race to Stratford-upon-Avon
Ø  Cruising unmapped lands
Ø  The making of Sorrows, tears and (tons of) videotapes
Q2. Read these three opening paragraphs and assign its would-be titles from the three above. Copy them at A) B) C).
  A.                                                                                                B.                                                                                     C.    



text one. As June opens its doors, I feel the urge of taking my ballpen and leave testimony of the amazing expedition through the English jungle. All who joined the voyage knew that it was not an easy one as we had to explore the uncharted country of the fourth level in the wild lands of the EOI continent.
TEXT two.  When our teacher asked us why not write a end-of-the year report, I was sure that a pencil in my hands would be more alike to a mass destruction weapon than a poetry tool. I see the course as a film. A tragic one where one couldn’t be left out. We had a great storyline, we had great actors, well-rehearsed studios and proper resources.    

Three. I stopped my Ford in the newly painted car-park at EOI. It was strange to think that I was ready to set out on a journey with a final destination: a pass to fifth level. The long-course contest had been set up and every contender was left with a roadmap to Dakar. Many were those who first joined the enterprise but the toll took half of us.



TASK 2. Imagine you are asked to write an end-of-the-year report. Answer the questions below.
Q1. Which of these openings would you choose or a report on your learning at EOI? Why?
...................................................................................................................................
Q2. Who would you say gives a negative impression of the course?  Why?
...................................................................................................................................



LANGUAGE PRACTICE. TASK 3. How successful would it be this first paragraph? Why?



We were seating in front of the class that morning at 9 oclock to start our new course in the EOI, the fourth level, with new classmates and new teacher. I always feel nervous and excited when I take up new courses. When the door was open i entered the nice classroom and took a free seat near the window. Then I studied those mates near me. At that moment the teacher lay the books on his table, introduced himself and gave us the program.



...................................................................................................................................
...................................................................................................................................

TASK4. To avoid sounding flat, try to edit the paragraph with your own words rephrasing full sentences while you add some brushes of good writing. For instance:
Feelings: how nervous? Why? Use the senses (sound, light, touch)
Uncertainty: wasn’t sure I could cope with this new experience
telling details: I was thinking to myself “I hope to get a nice seat”.
.......................................................................... ..................................................................................
.................................................................................................... ........................................................
.............................................................................................................................. ..............................
.................................................................................................................................... .........................
............................................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................

TASK 5. Fina decided to use some Metaphors of flight: course = flight, students card = boarding card, timetable = plane code. How successful would it be now this first paragraph after her edition?
In the first week I was given a boarding card whose flight number was 4B/9 to 11. While I was waiting that morning on the departure lounge I felt a kind of nervousness and excitement because I wasn’t sure I could cope with this new experience as I am not used to fly. As we were asked to get into the plane I was thinking to myself “I hope to get a nice seat”. While the engines were roaring outside I was wondering who among the passengers was going to get the seat next to me. Once we managed to get a free seat by the aisle the captain introduced himself.
...................................................................................................................................
 TIP. See Collocations in use  (CUP) -units 12, 43, 44 & 45- to help you at this point.
TASK6. Observe and compare the part of the report were she describes some minor problems she had to face. Write the alternatives below:


First version> This report will help me to summarise, as honest as I can, my experience in class. I sincerely say we had to overcome some study problems, I missed one month classes, I didn’t meet my writing deadlines in February. Before Easter twice I was thinking of quitting and go back next September. But we overcame these problems and we happily took our final exam last week in May.
Edited > So here I am, trying to do my best -like anyone else-, and put into words, as honest as I can, my flying experience. I can sincerely state that turbulence moments we had a few as we all are afraid of flying. Sometimes we heard the aircraft cracking, other times thought we were going to crash. Even though I knew where the parachutes were,  and I was tempted twice to take the same flight next year, I  may assure you that our airplane was landing safe and sound on EOI airfield the last week of May. 



a)    This report will help me to summarise my experience in class
...................................................................................................................................
b)    we had to overcome some study problems
...................................................................................................................................
c)    twice I was thinking of quitting and go back next September
...................................................................................................................................
d)   we happily took our final exam
...................................................................................................................................

TASK7. Besides the vocabulary field she activates (turbulence, aircraft, airfield, landing), mention three improvements you see in content:
...................................................................................................................................
...................................................................................................................................
...................................................................................................................................
TASK8.  Read the authentic report on annex 1 and give marks on the features below. Score from 1 (the least) to 7 (the most).The text I read:


Ø    entertains readers,                               …….
Ø    tries to enlighten other learners.           .…..
Ø    shows a strong opening                        .…...
Ø    be a successful piece                           ……
Ø    ends with a balanced sentence             …….
Ø    expresses herself with lively imagery    …..…
Ø    adds a pinch of humour                         …..…
Ø    offers a couple of telling details             …..…



FOLLOW UP.
Write your own version for the course you are enrolled in with particular emphasis on the angle you can bring to the composition. Length aprox 400 words

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog