Blog Archive

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Lang 3.2. TO INFINITIVE matters: my first assignment

Lang 3.2. TO INFINITIVE matters: my first assignment            3-4-5 level 10-15 min

GOAL. Be able to create my classification of a grammatical structure.

WARMING UP
TASK 1. Observe the classification of these curious grammatical feature. Do these questions.
Q1. Check the list of contents of your grammar book. How many units can you find devoted to infinitives? ......................
Q2. Copy the three most dificult here:
............................................ .................................................................. ......................
............................................ .................................................................. ......................
............................................ .................................................................. ......................

LANGUAGE PRACTICE
TASK 2. The three forms are, surprisingly, very easy to change into negative. Write the three underlined infinitives in negative:
Why DO verb patterns exams > .................................................
TO REMEMBER the rules, that is the problem. > .................................................
Thanks for HELPING her at the test > .................................................

TASK 3. Match the three examples with their respective explanations:
After a phrasal verb To express purpose to show emphasis
a) We DO love Navarra .........................................
b) I need the Grammar book to answer this item ................ .......................
c) I GAVE UP studying for the grammar exam last Friday ............ ............................

TASK 4. After perception verbs with object we use ................. as in the example below:
I felt an insect go/to go/going up my arm.

TASK 5. Study these examples below and answer the question below.
➢ Her sisters dreamt about PLAYING again late in the evening
➢ I’m thinking of GOING to Montserrat next Easter.
➢ I don’t feel like COOKING
Q1. Copy the verbs before the infinitives: .............. .......... / ................ .... / .............. ...........
Q2. What do the verbs of these sentences have in common? .................................................
TASK 6. Study this sentence below and answer the questions.
‘Goverment acts TO CURB terror of the silent gangs’
Q1. Does the sentence refer to past/ present/ future time? ..................
Q2. Can it be a headline in a newspaper? ..................................
Q3. Does this item work in English similar to I’m about TO PAINT it?

TASK 7. Here you have all the examples form both worksheets, with an explanation for each type. Add a couple of uses to the list. (You need the help of a grammar book).


BARE INFINITIVES
A1. With these modal/auxiliary forms: We can/must/could/may/might/shall/will/should DO sth.

A2. Short answers: (question) Do you play/study/work/paint/LOVE HIM….? (answer) Yes, I DO.

A3. After LET or MAKE + object (also HELP): Let everybody do it now
That funny TV show made me laugh or This text helps nurses improve their work

A4. Emphasis: We do LOVE Navarra. // They did ADORE her.

A5. After SEE, WATCH, FEEL, etc. + object (= perception verbs):
I saw Sarah smoking a cigar. // I felt an insect going up my arm.

A6. With WHY (question word): Why study English? Why not study German?

A7. ......
A8. ......

TASK 8. Make a list with all the “TO INFINITIVES” you can find this week. Do the following things:
a ) Explore your written texts corrected by the teacher and find those infinitive mistakes.
b) Copy in your notebook examples from texts you listened to this week, as you can find the transcripts in the magazine or at the end of the classbook.
c) Squeeze the last four long texts (1-page) you studied lately.

FOLLOW UP (check key).
With your next reader you will prepare these two new grammar assignments:
#1. (Before Easter) Grammar Assignment1: “-ING Infinitives” At least 10 types and explanations
#2. (After Easter) Grammar Assignment2. A score of new syntax discoveries (open to your choice)

To read about semantic differences To do/doing, see S. Thornbury on his blog



Language work. 3.2. TO INFINITIVE matters: An assignment with my reader KEY


TASK 1. Q1. Check the list of contents of your grammar book. How many units can you find devoted to infinitives? (open: intermediate 6 / upper 9 / advanced 12) That is, more units to higher level!

Q2. Copy the three most dificult here: (open)

LANGUAGE PRACTICE
TASK 2. Write the three underlined infinitives in negative:
Why NOT DO verb patterns exams > .................................................
NOT TO REMEMBER the rules, that is the problem. > .................................................
Thanks for NOT HELPING her at the test > .................................................

TASK 3. Match the three examples with their respective explanations:
d) We DO love Navarra to show emphasis
e) I need the Grammar book to answer this item To express purpose
f) I GAVE UP studying for the grammar exam last Friday After a phrasal verb

TASK 4. After perception verbs with object we use ING INFINITIVE as in the example below:
I felt an insect go/to go/going up my arm.

TASK 5. Study these examples below and answer the question below.
➢ Her sisters dreamt about PLAYING again late in the evening
➢ I’m thinking of GOING to Montserrat next Easter.
➢ I don’t feel like COOKING
Q1. Copy the verbs before the infinitives: dreamt about / thinking of / feel like

Q2. What do the verbs of these sentences have in common? Verb + preposition

TASK 6. Study this sentence below and answer the questions.
‘Goverment acts TO CURB terror of the silent gangs’
Q1. Does the sentence refer to past/ present/ future time? ..................
Q2. Can it be a headline in a newspaper? Of course, it can. It IS a headline, with its own grammar.
Q3. Does this item work in English similar to I’m about TO PAINT it? Yes, it does, in the sense it refers to a future action.

See the three annexes: Annex A. BARE infinitive (V)
Annex B. TO infinitive (TO + V)
Annex C. -ING infinitive (V+ing)





Annex A. BARE infinitive: V (verb)

A1. With the modal/auxiliary forms:
We can/must/……. DO sth.

A2. Short answers (with any verb!).
(question) Do you play/study/work/paint/….? (answer) Yes, I do.
Typical mistake: Short answer follows a previous question.
(Anecdote from weddings: Translating “Sí, t’estimo” shows that “estimo” = do!!)

A3. After LET or MAKE + object (also HELP)
Let’s go. Let everybody do it now
That funny TV show made me laugh
This text helps nurses improve their work (also, helps nurses to improve)

A4. Emphasis: We do LOVE Navarra.

A5. With WHY (question word)
Why study English? Why not study German?

A6.

A7.







Annex B. TO infinitive (TO + V)


B1. Sentences with two verbs: Verb 1 marks Action Verb (verb 2 )
Main sentence verb (Verb 1) includes “to” & action verb in complement.
I have to cook for Sylvie. (action verb = cook)
I’m going to apply for this job. (action verb = apply for)
I want to clarify this issue. (action verb = clarify)
I’d like to buy this novel. (action verb = buy)
Main verb 1 acts as a full verb: normal structure in negative & question sentences:
I don’t have to…/ Do you have to…? I’m not going to…./ Are you going to…
I don’t want to…/ Do you want to…? I’ wouldn’t like to…/ Would you like to…
B2. To express purpose Mary went out to get a paper. // I need the money to pay the bill

B3. Subordinate infinitive clauses: She told you to practise more time.
They asked my sister to prepare the cake for Tuesday.
Similar to Latin syntax/ romanic languages use the subjuntive tense after “que…”

B4. With SOME verbs (LIKE, HATE, START, CONTINUE, etc.) we can use both
I hate to do / doing this. // Martha started to give / giving our presents.
She continued to repeat/ repeating the same exercise.

B5. With BE. BE PLUS ADJECTIVE It’s wrong to kill animals
(expresses emotion) It’s nice to see you again. // I’m sorry to tell you this: your score is too low
(comparison) I find modern art changes too quickly for us to understand
This test marks are difficult enough to follow
BE PLUS NOUN (future) It’s time to play something
phrasal verbs (BE + PARTICLE) I’m about to start. (+ PREP) // She’s off to work (+ ADVERB)

B6. Using questions words.
After WH- word In the end, she decided where to have the party.
I didn’t know what to do.
Victor discussed how much to pay the waitress.
After WH- word PLUS NOUN I didn’t know what colour to paint the kitchen
They considered how much luggage to take

B8. Used to (habits in the past) I used to live in that house.
Notice the difference with C7)

B9. With PREPOSITION “TO”.
Plus PREPOSITION “TO”: We are close to giving up this idea. (opposed to, etc)
Plus VERB + prep. TO: We admit TO being a spy.
I’m looking forward TO hearing from you
B10. Sentences with for + object
I’m waiting for someone to serve me (verb + for + object)
It’s hard for young people to find well paid jobs. (adject + for + object)
Our guide didn’t speak clearly enough for me to understand her. (adverb + for + object)




Annex C. “-ING” INFINITIVE (V +ing)

C1. With a preposition:
Thank you for being so helpful the other day.
Anthony is good at telling jokes
I’m sorry about making all that noise last night (=I made all that noise)
OBSERVE these structures:
They’re talking about building the cinema here After a verb
Can you touch your toes without bending your knees? After a verb with complement
I’m tired of studying English After an adjective

C2. With verbs (ENJOY, SUGGEST, FINISH, etc.)
I enjoy doing it
She suggested repeating the test twice.
Martha’s finishing playing the flute.

C3. With SOME verbs (LIKE, HATE, START, CONTINUE, etc.) we can use both
I hate doing/ to do this.
Martha started giving/ to give our presents.
She continued repeating/ to repeat the same exercise.

C4. After time linking words:
I always have a shower after playing tennis
Josep went bankrupt since losing his job

C5. Verb with preposition:
I’m thinking of going to Morella next Easter.
I don’t feel like cooking.

C6. After prepositional phrase:
Why not save some money instead of spending it all?

C7. BE used to/ get used to
I am used to living in house. We like having no neighbours upstairs!
I get used to driving fast to Valencia
Notice the difference with: I used to live in a flat. (in the past)

C8. After verbal expressions & phrasal verbs: (give up/put off/can’t help/it’s no use (worth)/…)
I gave up studying for the French exam last Friday
It’s no use turning on the DVD; it’s out of order.

C9. A5. After SEE, WATCH, FEEL, etc. + object (= perception verbs)
I saw Sarah smoking a cigar.
I felt an insect going up my arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog