Friday, November 11, 2011

No excuses in ESL - or how you were not excused

The Mother of All Excuses Place, News and Credits.    

Well friends, this is where I'll announce the most recent additions to this web site, give credit to the wonderful people out there that submit new excuses.

What Are Good Excuses for Running Late?thumbnail

If you are running late for an important meeting, have an excuse prepared to justify your tardiness.

There is no worse feeling than waking up in the morning, rested from good night's sleep, and glancing at the clock, only to do a double-take: You're late!

For most people, knowing they're running late for work strikes the fear of God within them and as a result, they move like there's a fire under their feet to get ready. They hustle, scramble, frantically throw things into a bag and are out the door to ensure a timely -- though unkempt and graceless -- arrival at the office.
But for a smaller group people, knowing they are running late for work does absolutely nothing except stimulate their creative juices in order to make up the latest excuse as to why they are late for work -- again.
Check your own estimates about a survey (February 2009CareerBuilder.com ) of more than 8,000 workers, ad copy them in order of frequency!!!:
  •  ............ percent of workers said they arrive late to work at least once a week, 
  •  ............  percent said they are late at least twice a week.
  • ............ of workers blamed traffic for their tardiness, 
  • ............ percent said lack of sleep was the guilty one. 
  • ............ percent of workers said getting their kids ready for school or day care was the main reason they ran late in the morning. 
Other common reasons included (choose 3):
fire in the kitchen / public transportation / wardrobe issues / 
    flooded bathrooms / dealing with pets.
Read the answers:
One-third (33 percent) of workers blamed traffic for their tardiness, while 24 percent said lack of sleep was the culprit. 
Twenty percent of workers said they arrive late to work at least once a week. Twelve percent said they are late at least twice a week. Ten percent of workers said getting their kids ready for school or day care was the main reason they ran late in the morning. Other common reasons included public transportation, wardrobe issues or dealing with pets.
"While some employers tend to be more lenient with worker punctuality, 30 percent say they have terminated an employee for being late," said Rosemary Haefner, vice president of human resources for CareerBuilder.com.
"Workers need to understand their company's policies on tardiness and if they are late, make sure they openly communicate with their managers. Employers have heard every excuse in the book, so honesty is the best policy."

If you've decided honesty is not the best policy for you, don't try using any of the following excuses as the reason why you're late -- they've been heard before.Use your imagination
Here are 12 of the most outrageous excuses employees have heard for being late to work:
1. My heat was shut off so I had to stay home to keep my snake warm.
2. My husband thinks it's funny to hide my car keys before he goes to work.
3. I walked into a spider web on the way out the door and couldn't find the spider, so I had to go inside and shower again.
4. I got locked in my trunk by my son.
5. My left turn signal was out so I had to make all right turns to get to work.
6. A gurney fell out of an ambulance and delayed traffic.
7. I was attacked by a raccoon and had to stop by the hospital to make sure it wasn't rabid.
8. I feel like I'm in everyone's way if I show up on time.
9. My father didn't wake me up.
10. A groundhog bit my bike tire and made it flat.
11. My driveway washed away in the rain last night.
12. I had to go to bingo.


I should be working.... All work and no play is boring, stressful, and unhealthy. Check out these great websites that poke fun at the rat race in one way or another (or at least give you something to do while you're on break).
or were you making a cup of coffee -- you're late.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog