Sunday, October 24, 2010

Wr1.2. Writing a monthly self-assessment report 3-4-5 level 25 min.

Wr1.2. Writing a monthly self-assessment report 3-4-5 level 25 min.

GOAL. To study a written account (200-word) on learner’s own assessment. It offers a good model to practising your writing skills.

WARMING UP
TASK 1. Underline the surprising things in this learner’s report on self-assessment made in January.


Speaking. Weak
I have to work more on Pronunciation. From time to time, I realise I’m just translating expressions (wrong syntax). When I have to speak for long time, often my speech is so diffuse that my listener cannot understand my ideas because I have a lack organization of the contents.

Writing. Good.
This mark is true only if I have had time to write , and I could work at my own pace. Against the clock the pleasure of writing turns into a sort of punishment where the text is full of infamous errors.

Listening. Good
I have had some problems with American films, as usual, but I think I have improved my level of comprehension by working with audio at home. I have not found problems when I have spoken to English people.



Reading. Good.
(Particularly in journals and magazines). It is difficult to read against the clock, mainly if I have to answer questions about the topic.

Grammar . Fair -
I know I have to study more because I have the same problems with basic spelling and translated tenses and lately I’ve become obsessioned with phrasal verbs.

Vocabulary. Good.
It is difficult to incorporate new expressions in the oral language (for me it is always easier to include the new vocabulary in my writing work).

Social life. Good
Much better than I thought at the beginning of the year due to different ages and interest in a crowded classroom
Jose Enrique T.






TASK 2. Answer these questions about the previous text.
I. How often have you written a similar text? …………………
II. Would you say it is an honest account? ………
III. Which skills is the learner more/less optimistic about?
more: …………………… less: …………………………….
IV. Which comments show the learner’s initiative in the learning process? ………………………………..………….. ……………..…………………..……………… …………………………..…………………..……………………………………………….
V. Which comments show the learner’s concerns about facing problems? ………………………………………………..……………… …………….………………..……………… ..…………………………………………..…………………..…………………………………………………
VI. Which ls interesting about the remarks on social life? … ………………..……………………………………………………..

TASK 3. This mini-report can be written with an opening paragraph. Fill in the blanks with these words: weaknesses / skills / thoughtful / language assessment / November

Here you can read about my ....................... in ........, with my ....................... account on the seven ............. where I show my ....................... and strengths.

TASK 4. Write a final paragraph for the text trying to summarize the ideas expressed or making his point about assessing his Lerning life in January.
………………………………………………..……………… …………….………………..……………… ..…………………………………………..…………………..………………………………………………….. ………………………………………………..……………… …………….………………..………………

LANGUAGE PRACTICE
TASK 5. Write your own month assessment on the several skills taking the previous task as a model with a suggested length of 200 words.


FOLLOW UP.
Read other learner’s assessment reports on a variety of topics: from Social skills to English in my town to My best companions studying English.
See Writing 8. My Quest for English in this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog